Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Don't Put All Your Eggs In One Over-Glamorized Grammy Basket

Here's the Slush...
It may be a little late for a Grammy commentary, but I guarantee that will not stop me from giving one.
        It seems this year's Grammy Awards ceremony had a distinctive avian theme, with a great number of interesting performances.
 I will begin with Lady Gaga's performance of her new single "Born This Way" (The title song to her upcoming album)... although I believe the more applicable term would be "Laid This Way"... as she, in fact, hatched herself onto the stage from a ginormous chicken egg.

 As that is pretty extreme all on its own, my attempt at making a spectacle out of it is truly superfluous.

 And as we are speaking of birds, or bird like...things (?)... Cee Lo Green and Gwyneth Paltrows performance of his hit "F*** You"... was so very colorful.  My dear readers if you had ever wondered what the love child of Steve Coogan
 and Abelardo Montoya would look like...

                                                                           it's this.

Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

            And finally, a brief sample list of the winners and who actually should have won (according to me)-

RECORD OF THE YEAR WINNER - Lady Antebellum (Need You Now)
 - SHOULD HAVE WON- Eminem Feat. Rihanna (Love The Way You Lie)
              lets face it, Need You Now was a good song. But simply put Love The Way You Lie is epic.
                         http://www.vevo.com/watch/eminem/love-the-way-you-lie/USUV71001543

ALBUM OF THE YEAR WINNER- Arcade Fire (The Suburbs)
-SHOULD HAVE WON- Arcade Fire (The Suburbs)
             Eh, I agree with this mostly because I really like Arcade Fire.

SONG OF THE YEAR WINNER- Need You Now (Lady Antebellum)
-SHOULD HAVE WON- Love The Way You Lie (Eminem feat. Rihanna)
            I think all you really need to know is that Love The Way You Lie was requested 85% more on national pop/rock stations than Need You Now.

BEST DANCE RECORDING WINNER- Only Girl<In The World> (Rihanna)
-SHOULD HAVE WON-Only Girl<In The World> (Rihanna)
            Have you SEEN this video? It's the most vogue music video I have ever seen, not to mention the best dance beat ever. No wonder it won.
                                              
BEST ELCTRONIC/DANCE ALBUM WINNER- Le Roux (Le Roux)
-SHOULD HAVE WON-Le Roux (Le Roux)

              I full heartedly agree with the pick of this English electropop sensation. Go girl.

BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE BY DUO/GROUP WINNER- Tighten Up (The Black Keys)
-SHOULD HAVE WON- Resistence (MUSE)
            
 Ok, I should point out that I am totally bias when it comes to all things MUSE, but let it be on record that I really like The Black Keys too.

BEST SCORE SOUNDTRACK FOR A MOTION PICTURE WINNER- Toy Story 3
-SHOULD HAVE WON- Tie between Alice In Wonderland and Sherlock Holmes

      Two of  my all time favorite movie music composers Danny Elfman and Hans Zimmer. These guys worked on the soundtracks of such movies (and Video Games) as; Chicago, The Nighmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow, Fable (I,II,and III),Pirates of the Caribbean(1,2,3,and the upcoming 4), The Lion King, The Dark Night, and Pearl Harbor... need I go on? I didn't think so.

BEST COMPILATION SOUNDTRACK FOR MOTION PICTURE WINNER- Crazy Heart
-SHOULD HAVE BEEN- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
      All right, honestly I don't care to hear how much everyone loves or hates this series, thats a subject for another day (preferably when I have nothing better to do), however, the soundtracks to these movies are the best. This album features Metric, Muse, The Black Keys, Vampire Weekend (however ironic we all find that.), Band of Horses, Cee Lo, and my favorite Florence + The Machine. So really, you can't go wrong with this cd.
and last but most definitely NOT least...

BEST NEW ARTIST WINNER-Esperanza Spalding
-SHOULD HAVE BEEN- Florence+The Machine
   So we have all heard about the whole Justin Beiber fans gorilla-style attack on Ms. Spalding's Wiki page, but the truth is, English band Florence + The Machine should have taken that cake. That truly is the final word I have on that subject, but in appreciation of this great artist/group/genius I just have to post a music video.




And That's The Slush

No comments:

Post a Comment